“Avoid conflict at all costs”: an impossible task and a
self-defeating objective. Chasing this elusive dream wastes time
and nervous energy. Conflict is not to be avoided: rather,
it is to be managed. In this course, you will learn how to harness the
benefits that a healthy level of conflict offers. You’ll learn
how to manage excessive conflict down to an optimal level. You’ll
learn what causes conflict and how to recognise situations that might
lead to conflict.
Conflict might occur between staff members, between departments, or worst of
all, between staff and customers. Through simulations and scenarios, you will
experience how to make conflict work for you.
This course removes your fear of conflict. We won’t give you running
shoes, or a chain-mail vest for your back. Instead, you will take away an armoury
of techniques to tackle conflict head on. Conflict is something you will be
able to handle with confidence and certainty.
The Conflict Management program covers the following major content
- The nature of conflict and why it exists
- The 5 steps of conflict explained and understood
- Effective communication techniques
- How to discuss problems in a positive manner
- Creating a positive atmosphere
- Tips to diffuse anger
- Gender & Cultural differences
- Reaching resolution
- Which communication style works best for you?
2 days (or custom tailored to your specific needs)
Facilitator-led. (Speak to us about a tailored self-study option).
- Define conflict
- Assess potential causes of conflict.
- Identify a five step strategy to manage conflict.
- Identify the most appropriate conflict management approach to adopt, in various circumstances and relationships.
- Effectively give and interpret verbal and non verbal communication.
- Discuss problems in a constructive manner.
- Demonstrate constructive and positive responses to aggressive behaviour.
- Develop strategies to deal with disagreement.
- Identify effective mediation strategies.
- Formalise conflict resolution decisions.
- Carry out strategies to manage conflict involving cultural and/or gender differences.
»return to library