In a world where technology removes the mundane from our lives, communication
has become the number one skill upon which your success depends. This
course gives you the communication skills you need for success in business.
It’s practical; it’s useful; and it’s fun.
You’ll find out how to create an environment conducive to positive communication.
You’ll identify the “do’s” and “don’ts” to
hone your communication skills. Become an effective listener. Learn how to
modify your communication style for different situations. Through simulations
and scenario-based learning, you will exercise your new skills before you finish
The Effective Communication program focuses on the following major
• The objectives of communication
• Positive communication – it’s your responsibility, Ralph!
• Overcoming the barriers to communication
• Creating a positive atmosphere
• Verbal techniques
• Awareness of non-verbal communication
• How to communicate your subject matter expertise to others
• Active listening
• Tips for continual improvement
2 days (or custom tailored to your specific needs)
- Define the term “Communication”.
- Identify the objectives of communication.
- Explain why communication is important in business.
- Explain the role of written communication in business.
- Explain the role of face-to-face communication in business.
- Explain the role of telephone communication in business.
- Identify common barriers to communication.
- Identify methods to reduce the risk of communication barriers occurring.
- Improve your written communication style.
- Explain the importance of preparation prior to client meetings.
- Effectively give and interpret non verbal clues.
- Identify methods to enhance the process of verbal communication.
- Explain the concept of active listening and its importance in the communication process.
- Apply accepted conventions to participation in formal meetings and discussions.
- Explain the importance of preparation before communicating via telephone.
- Identify the importance of tone in any non face-to-face conversation.
- Identify methods to improve overall telephone technique.
- Demonstrate constructive and positive responses to aggressive behaviour.
- Apply appropriate levels of assertiveness to actual or potential conflict situations.
»return to library